… and what is ‘dead’ anyway?
Go read this story about a pregnant woman who isn’t permitted
Here are the important facts, as I see them:
- The woman and her husband are both fully informed about end of life situations, they were both paramedics.
- The woman explicitly told her husband that she did not want to be on that kind of life support.
- The woman was 14 weeks pregnant at the time she was found.
- The woman is brain-dead, without the machines she would stop breathing.
- Texas seems to have an unhealthy obsession with fetuses.
The hospital claims that it cannot end life-support because she’s pregnant and Texas law prohibits them from removing life-support from a pregnant woman. The law is,
The hospital has cited a provision of the Texas Advance Directives Act that reads: “A person may not withdraw or withhold life-sustaining treatment under this subchapter from a pregnant patient.”
IF it was the case that law permitted involuntary euthanasia, that would be a good thing. As it is, once a woman becomes pregnant, it seems that she forfeits the right to refuse treatment. Got it, so in Texas a pregnant woman is just a womb…ish.